We are almost on the onset of Summer and dreading those sharp rays of gorgeous yellows in the sky… and getting ready to SUNblock and SUNscreen your way into Summer 2015?
Before you buy your stocks of lotion, it is important to know that all sun is in not bad sun (and a lot of sun is also not good sun). Confusing? Well, yes sunshine is the most important and vital sources of Vitamin D. Vitamin D also called the “sunshine vitamin,” because it’s produced in the skin as a response to sunlight, is a fat-soluble vitamin in a family of compounds that includes vitamins D1, D2, and D3. It can affect as many as 2,000 genes in the body and has many benefits that help us live a longer, stronger and healthier life.
Here are a few key benefits of exposing yourself to the yellows of summer (or that of vitamin d):
- Sunshine has pain-killing (analgesic) properties
- It helps increasing subcutaneous fat metabolism
- Regulation of human lifespan (solar cycles appear to be able to directly affect the human genome, thereby influencing lifespan)
- Daytime sun exposure improves evening alertness
- Sunshine can directly convert to metabolic energy (i.e. we may “ingest” energy directly from the sun, like plants do)
- It also strengthens bones, teeth and leads to a healthy immune system
Grab some sunlight boys and girls and fill yourself up with Vitamin D and good health! 🙂