Holiday time is almost here, planning of vacations, travelling to see your folks, flying to your best friend’s wedding is all on the calendar. Travel for work or pleasure can always be stressful. Right from the planning, booking tickets, hotels, site seeing until the end of the journey.
This is that time of the year when your routine goes off, your sleep schedule isn’t normal. As much as we deny it vacations can be extremely stressful and filled with aches and pains.
Of course there are ways you can be cautious and prevent yourself from any Holiday stress and stay absolutely calm and fit. Don’t worry, no one is asking you to wake up at 6 am and jog for an hour or go and hunt for the gym in your hotel. There are always other ways of maintaining your well-being; here are few of our suggestions:
- Wherever in the world you are, wake up and have a few glasses of water, it helps cleanse your mind and your system. This not only ensures you having a good start to your day but also a good day overall.
- Stay hydrated always. We all have fears of not finding hygienic toilets and curb our water intake, but for a fit journey you must always keep yourself hydrated. It prevents you from motion sickness, high altitude sickness, indigestion etc.
- Stiff muscles are a common complain for most corporate and holiday travellers, stiffness in your body can lead to injuries as well. To prevent yourself from stiffness… Exercise! Keep it very simple and basic, like while travelling (in the car / flight / train / bus) stretch & twist your wrists, arms, legs and ankles to keep them awake and active. Do this at regular intervals.
- Get a foot massage! Even if you are not in South East Asia, most airports in the world now have state-of-the-art foot spas, take that 30 minutes out and refresh yourself. A quick foot massage does wonders for the body:
- It boosts your energy levels, making you feel fresh and rejuvenated
- It enhances blood circulation
- It reduces anxiety and stress that could have been caused by pre-travel chaos
- It helps mitigate incidence of indigestion which is a big concern for many who have a sensitive stomach, especially whilst on a holiday
- It reduces your aches and pains, relaxing your muscles
- It prevents head aches and migraines
- Travel Light! It’s a tough thing to do for women, but running around with heavy luggage isn’t the best idea. So pack wisely and travel light in a self-carry friendly suit case.
- Take a break… Holidaying can also get stressful especially if you have a packed itinerary, so make sure you spend at least one meal that is absolutely relaxed, calm and quiet may be overlooking a beautiful valley or a beach just to get that peace of mind for which you actually planned the holiday! 🙂
Festival season is all about parties, guests, dinners, drinks, fun, frolic, drama and loads of celebrations. The silence after the crazy time leaves us with the real pains of life: cleaning, aches, pains, lack of sleep etc. This calls for ‘ME’ time. Time to bounce back. Time to pamper yourself. Time to reward yourself for being a wonderful host; life of the party! 🙂
However in our fast moving urban lifestyle, getting pampered and taking the ‘time out’ still remains a luxury. A spa day with no one but yourself, sounds like a dream. But who says you cannot enjoy this luxury within your home? Pampering yourself at home is easy if you know what to do. Here’s some simple ways that will bring life back into you:
- Hot water bath: Aqua therapy is truly the easiest, simplest and best way to unwind. Check the temperature of your bath to make sure that it isn’t too hot. Add some rose or lavender oil to the bath to soothe your mind. Some aromatic candles and you are ready to RELAX!
- Music always has the answers to most troubles of life. Pick a CD of spa music, or you buy some relaxing music off iTunes or simply YouTube it.
- Pampering home salon:
- Take a nice aromatic moisturizing lotion (aloe, cocoa butter, lavender, strawberry or any other) to gently massage your legs, arms, feet, elbows and hands making them soft, supple and new
- Apply a natural face pack (fresh fruit, walnut, fresh cream or yogurt) to refresh your tired face
- Cool your eyes with cucumber slices
- Paint (for women) your fingernails and toes. Take the time out to do give yourself with a mani-pedi treat.
- Comfy dressing: Pick your favourite /comfiest pair of clothing that will leave you comfortable and relaxed.
- Freshen up: Brush, floss, use mouthwash!
- Hot Drink: Try some hot chocolate, herbal tea, or even your favourite coffee. Put it in a nice mug and drink it either on the couch or in your bed.
- Relax: Watch some TV, a film, or listen to some relaxing music in your bed. Or read a book or just sit by your window or balcony and enjoy the fresh air or view while your mind is free from all thoughts.
- Sleep: Turn off the lights and think of relaxing or calming thoughts until you fall asleep. If it’s not night, take a nap. Even if it’s only a power nap. When you wake up avoid drama and take it easy.
So stop thinking and give yourself a break! Pamper yourself and jump out the party hangover with a newer, fresher and rejuvenated You! 🙂
Yoga! What is Yoga? Yoga, is a Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, includes breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, it is to be practiced for health and relaxation.
We all are well aware of the benefits of Yoga. Yoga increases flexibility and reduces stress, but the practice can do more than help you twist your body and find inner peace. These hidden benefits will help you in the kitchen, office and bedroom – here are five reasons you must take up to Yoga, if you still have not:
- Boosts Immunity: Other than simply increasing overall wellness and health levels a recent study found that yoga practice results in changes in the gene expression that boost immunity at a cellular level.
- Ease Migraines: The cause of migraine isn’t fully understood, it is a combination of mental stress and physical misalignment that can be a result of hunching over a computer or cell phone with your shoulders up and head forward. A few studies show that migraine sufferers have fewer and less painful migraines after three months of yoga practice.
- Sleep Better: Researchers from Harvard found that eight weeks of daily yoga significantly improved sleep quality for people with insomnia. Breathing and mental exercises allow the mind to slow down, so when the mind rests, you sleep better.
- Fights Food Cravings: By causing breath awareness, regular yoga practice strengthens the mind-body connection. This awareness can help you tune your emotions for certain cravings, and yoga breathing exercises can help you slow down and make better choices when cravings strike.
So either wake up 20 minutes earlier in the morning or spend 20 minutes before you sleep to practice Yoga for a more focused and peaceful day (or sleep) ahead of you…
Anticipation at times can be your best friend or your worst enemy. Depends on what you’re anticipating but whatever it is, it hasn’t happened yet. Its a mystery or something that is unknown to us. We don’t have the capability of changing something in the future because we don’t know whether it even exists. You may hope for a better future and you would definitely do your best to make the present count but for what reason is the past forgotten? The past makes us who were are today. If it weren’t for the past we wouldn’t be able to judge ourselves today.
At times of sorry or depression, people always say forget your past because the more you think about, the more its going to effect you now but how would you whether what you did in the past was wrong or not? Only by looking back at our actions, we would be able to assess how much have we progressed since the past and whether we have really grown or not. The past always is a part of us. Everybody thinks about what they are now or what they want to become in the future but they wouldn’t think about the person who they were and what they can change into.
As the generations and the time carry on, the past is forgotten. A teenage kid in today would definitely prefer electronic music, which is fast and has hard beats over a slow classical song which the parents would mostly indulge in. The influence also increases as a kid would start listening to mature music mostly due to the influence of his parents or sibling but would never start listening to it on his own. This is a common scenario in today’s world. Certain people wish for the past to come back probably because of a better time however some people wish to forget their past completely.
The past can often haunt you and be a major cause for your mental stress. There are various ways of tackling the past, like:
- Reading etc.
So, whether we like it or not, the past is always going to be with us. It isn’t something that is tangible or something that we’ll have access to but it’ll definitely be a part of us in some way or the other. We only need to know how to control it, not let is affect our future, learn from it and create a better tomorrow. After all, Old is gold.
Food is one the most critical aspect of health, fitness and well-being. It is something that (if not all) most people cannot survive without. However, like we have all kinds of people on this planet, we have all kinds of eating habits. Some can survive on one bar of chocolate or an apple for the entire day and stay full of energy. On the other hand there are people who eat will everything around them.
Quantity and quality are both very important for a good meal but regardless of what you eat or how you eat it, what you do before and after is what you must watch out for.
Having the right eating habits before and after eating are more essential than the ‘while eating habits’. It’s the before and after that actually determines the effect of the food. Most of us aren’t aware of certain basics that we should be adhere to before and after in order to ensure a good system. Basics such as:
- Drinking a glass of water before and after but not during a meal
- Eating everything before 6pm – that’s when digestion kicks in
- Having dinner as early as possible
- Hot & fresh dishes over cold & stale ones
- Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper!
Food provides a connection between all parts of the body. The food you eat surely defines the way to think, look and feel. To get the best out of the food you eat, it is important to have a stable amount of all the components that ensure a balanced diet. However that isn’t enough to help you eat well. You may eat all the right things there are to eat but eating them the RIGHT way is the key!
Happy Eating! 🙂
There always comes a time when a student shuts his book the day before the exam and gives up or when a businessman comes home after work and says he’s retiring the next day. The so-called ‘complain’ phase really does tend to persist especially for people who are doing something which they don’t want to but have to for their own benefit. We’re compelled to do so many things even though they are against are will and we know that if accomplished they will definitely benefit us but pessimism really does have its part.
Doing something you dislike is always caused by a disheartening intention. If the positive outcome is not focused on, then there’s no reason to be doing anything at all. A businessman who works 50 hours a week to support himself and probably others but that doesn’t deprive him of the joy he gets after sipping a cold beer and watching a movie. There’s always something to look forward to even if getting there may be really tough. You can’t change your interests or your likes but you can definitely change your perspective towards the ordinary!
Even the most boring of things can be done with some satisfaction if they’re done the right way. Kids these listen to heavy metal songs and still find a way to solve math problems. It doesn’t mean that they like math but they are finding joy in something that every kid has to go through. Of course no ones likes math but there are ways to make it interesting! Even after sitting on a desk for hours together, in the end you would definitely need to do something to relax your mind after such a hectic day but can’t that hectic day become a little more peaceful?
50 year olds like to play games on the phone in the middle of office as a stress-buster and to remove all the tension. It does help because that distraction does help you focus later. You really do need these small distractions to get you ahead. Focusing on just one thing can really kill the buzz and take everything out of you but focusing on it with the right attitude and mindset can get you right through!
So, what’s your mantra to KILL monotony and STAY FRESH & FOCUSED?
Rhythm is one of the few words in the english dictionary to not have a vowel in it. Probably to showcase the importance of music and its uniqueness, it’s such a special word and we still don’t realise the impact that it has on us! Music constitutes a very important part in each persons life whether they listen to music or not. There is music in everything we see around us. From the ringing of the telephone to a steel spoon falling on the floor, a sound is created and if that sound has a specific tune to it, it’s music!
It’s practically impossible to figure out how many types of music exist. Each song you listen to helps you enhance your ability to capture the essence of the music. It may not be pleasing to your ears or you may not appreciate the kind of music but the fact is that it still is music! A perfect example is the contrasting music
between kids and parents these days. While parents would be sitting down on the couch and listening to some calm classical music, the kids may be out in a concert with loud and pounding music! It’s really tough to appreciate all kinds of music because for a fact there’s always something you prefer listening to over something else.
Most people listen to music only for their satisfaction or they need a particular distraction but music can help you in so many more ways! Ways like:
-Helping you concentrate on your work
-Reducing stress to a great amount
-Motivation, when you need it!
-Teaching you to be a little more creativebet
-Improves sleep, very helpful
Music is probably one of the very few things that help people to live together in peace and harmony. It has the potential to create such a strong bond that nothing else can match. Music isn’t something we just listen to, it’s a completely different way of life.
After a long hard week of just pain and torture, the last thing anyone would want to hear is “Oh, It’s Monday already!”. People think one particular day maybe the worst of the week probably because of a greater workload or having to wait in a cue for several hours but whatever excuse they posses doesn’t match up to the disheartening sound of Monday!
Right from age 6 when the grind of waking up at sunrise begins, everyday for the rest of your life, Monday blues has definitely taken over. No ones likes these Monday blues and it isn’t something we call for just because we like our leisure time during the weekends. No one gives themselves a pat on their back for overcoming the Monday blues because that is something that doesn’t exist. Hate it how much ever to call it your enemy but there’s nothing that can beat the power of Monday.
The entire burden caused by the daily routine is rewarded with a relaxing weekend which includes a tremendous amount of sleep however waking up on Monday to see that sunrise and to know that the entire routine starts all over again is the worst feeling. There isn’t really anything to overcome it as once it is on its way, the weekend is here already! There are somethings that you really can do to skip the feeling that it’s monday and start the week on a good note! Things like:
- Waking up everyday in the morning for a run or jog to get the blood pumping
- Eating loads of fruits to improve digestion, a great feeling indeed!
- A nice cold shower to prevent the droopy effect
- A positive mindset always does the trick in a way
- Getting enough sleep sounds lame but its very effective!
Monday blues isn’t something we want but something we need! We wish that everyday of the year could be our birthday but then whats the actual point of it? Like people need a nice cup of coffee to start their day, everyone needs a nice dose of the Monday blues to start their week! Of course then comes the weekend so there’s always something to look forward to.
The same old desk job from 9-5 can really exemplify the extent of monotony and there should definitely be something to break that boring sensation and open the mind to a more vast horizon of possibilities.
Counting to 10 at times of immense rage can really help soothe ones mood however counting to 10 isn’t going to help you after 8 long hours of corporate life each day. Some would say pick up a sport or hobby such as reading which could help you relieve a little stress that may persist. However achieving that higher state of mind is only possible when the body connects with the mind and soul.
The struggle for achieving one’s desire is compelled to be accompanied by stress. The tension that one experiences isn’t something thats called for. Without knowing the extent to which one can exploit their capacity, the stress continues to build on and on to a point where it dominates you as a human.
Tranquility can be found in the simplest of ways and possibly a different inclination based on several personality and characteristic traits. Some can be:
- Listening to soft and calming music
- Playing a sport for leisure
- Spending time with friends to get rid of the boredom
- Reading a book or novel with a cup of tea
- Getting a nice spa or massage to unwind the tension
The possibilities to relieve yourself are endless. There maybe several ways to end the day on a good note however remember that stress should always be considered as external effect and not a significant part of the mind.