The Summer of 2015 has surely been quite a heat wave. Whilst we wait for the monsoon to come and chill us, here are a few home remedies for sun burns:
- ICE: Of course it is common sense that if you have a burn, you should put something cold on it. And it’s true, experts agree that a cold shower, ice pack, can surely help cool the skin and make it feel better.
- Aloe Vera has a long history of providing sunburn relief because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Try the fresh gel from the plant; it is surely better than over-the-counter products.
- Shaving Cream: As weird as it sounds, shaving cream has menthol and other chemicals, that are cooling and feel good to the skin. Menthol is a highly volatile compound that evaporates fast and takes the heat from the sunburn leaving a cooling effect.
- Vinegar: Specifically the apple cider vinegar is a famous home remedy for sunburn. It works as an antiseptic and helps to cool the skin as it evaporates. Theoretically, vinegar helps to balance the body’s pH levels to take away the stinging feeling.
- Milk is known to help soothe pain, itching and burning when used in cold compression. Yogurt also seems to have a similar effect.
- Honey is an antibacterial and multiple studies have shown that honey can help to heal wounds. Because of this, applying honey to a sunburn could help the skin re-epithelize (grow new epithelial skin cells).
- Lastly Tomato: Yes, it may sound crazy, but rubbing tomato on sunburn can help soothe the burn.
So if you have had many days by the beach and burnt your skin out, run into your closets and apply any of the above the heal your sun burn!
If you have any other easy home remedies, do share! 🙂